Montrail Ultra Cup Grows in the 2010-11 Season
New Colorado race, bigger cash purse and tougher competition
Richmond, Calif. (July 27, 2010) – Montrail celebrates the 10th year of Ultra Cup competition, and in honor of 10 great years, we’ve expanded the series and increased the cash purse for overall series winners. Building upon the most successful year to date, Montrail will increase the overall cash purse from $8,000 to $16,000, and expand the series to 12 races to include a 50-miler in Steamboat Springs, CO. A bigger overall purse and slight changes to the scoring and guidelines will continue to attract top-level runners and deepen the competition for the 2010/2011 season.
“To compete in the Ultra Cup series requires an immense amount of dedication, hard work and talent and Montrail wants to reward those runners who continue to push the limits of human potential,” said Jesse Malman Montrail Promotions Coordinator. “The growth of the series over the last few years directly reflects the growth of the sport and Montrail is proud to be the leading supporter of trail running nationwide.”
The 2010-11 Ultra Cup season kicks off in mid-August with the Where’s Waldo 100K and will be followed by a new race in the series. On September 18th, Steamboat Springs, CO will host the Run Rabbit Run 50. With 9,000 ft. of climbing and spectacular autumn scenery, the mountain course starts at the Steamboat ski area taking you up and over Mt. Werner across the Continental Divide to Rabbit Ears Mountain.
2010/2011 Montrail Ultra Cup Schedule
- Where’s Waldo 100k – August 21, 2010 – Willamette Pass, OR
- Run Rabbit Run 50 – September 18, 2010 – Steamboat Springs, CO
- Vermont 50 Mile and 50k –September 26, 2010 – Brownsville, VT
- Mountain Masochist 50 Mile – November 6, 2010 – Lynchburg, VA
- JFK 50 Mile – November 20, 2010 – Hagerstown, MD
- Bandera Trail Runs 100k/50k – January 8, 2011 – Bandera, TX
- Mt. Cheaha 50k – February 26, 2011 – Cheaha State Park, AL
- Way Too Cool 50k – March 12, 2011 – Cool, CA
- American River 50 – April 9, 2011 – Sacramento, CA
- Miwok 100k – May 7, 2011 – Marin Headlands, CA
- Ice Age Trail 50 – May 14, 2011 – LaGrange, WI
- Western States 100 – June 25, 2011 – Squaw Valley, CA
The overall cash purse will increase from $8,000 to $16,000 and will pay out in the following way:
1st – $5,000, Montrail shoes, Mountain Hardwear Fluid pack, nuun tablets
2nd – $2,000, Montrail shoes, Mountain Hardwear Fluid pack, nuun tablets
3rd – $1,000, Montrail shoes, Mountain Hardwear Fluid pack, nuun tablets
4th – Montrail shoes, Mountain Hardwear Fluid pack, nuun tablets
5th – Montrail sandals, Mountain Hardwear Fluid pack, nuun tablets
Changes in Scoring, Rules and Regulations
New for the 2010/2011 season:
- Bonus points will be awarded for winning a race. The first place male and first place female runner will receive 15 bonus points.
- When a runner finishes 1st or 2nd at a Montrail Ultra Cup race longer than 50km, he/she earns an automatic entry for the Western States 100 Endurance Run. If the runner is already entered in the WS100, the entry will slide down one slot to the third place runner. If that person does not wish to take the entry, it will not slide down any further.
For more information and to register for the Montrail Ultra Cup, visit: http://ultracup.montrail.com
Montrail is a premium outdoor brand known for its high performance trail-specific and recovery footwear. Serving as the trail running authority since 1993, Montrail is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Columbia Sportswear Company based in Richmond, Calif. Montrail distributes its products through specialty outdoor, running and sporting goods retailers throughout the United States and over 30 countries worldwide. Montrail is committed to delivering innovative performance footwear with outstanding runability for the New Breed of Runner. To learn more about Montrail, please visit: www.montrail.com.