The Finish Line

He survived the bad weather. He survived hypothermia at 12,000 feet. He survived taking wet nap showers at night and eating bars and gels all day for over a week. He survived quite a bit, in fact, and now he is done!

From the time of my last post, Matt ran for about 24 hours all the way to Molas Pass above Silverton. From there he took a four hour nap and got up at 8:00 in the morning to keep going, this time with Linda Barton running alongside. Durango is about 73 miles from Molas Pass, and he was determined to finish with as little downtime as possible. And he did just that, finishing about 28 hours after leaving Molas Pass. The remaining trail was broken up into three 20 ish mile sections and a 12 mile section, meaning he had to run for many hours at a time with very little support, all of this being at the final end of the trail when his energy was extremely sporadic. I really have no idea how Matt managed to keep going in the final sections; his all consuming dedication was a powerful force.

After hours of waiting and preparing, we finally went up to the Junction Creek trailhead at about noon today, and began the walk up to find Matt. We didn’t have to walk far. Within 20 minutes he came around a corner hooting at us and running a 7:30 ish mile fueled entirely by adrenaline. He looked really good, and especially so considering what he had put himself through in the past week. At 12:18 on Friday Matt Hart finished the Colorado Trail, for a total of 9 days, 7 hours and 48 minutes total, from start to finish. What an achievement! He literally ran from Denver to Durango, through the heart of the coolest mountain ranges in the state, and finished smiling and joking – just the way he started.

Since finishing he has eaten every bit of food in my house here in Durango and continues to wolf down everything within sight. How I’m going to get him to leave is beyond me, since he can’t actually move anymore, but that’s just fine because we like having him around. As for me, I’m going to go get my first full night of sleep in 9 days. Good night!

This entry was posted in General Running and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to The Finish Line

  1. annette bednosky says:

    Thank you for the continuing commentary on Matt’s (and his crew’s) adventures! Congrats to Matt!
    Matt is certainly a tenacious tough guy-yet you crew folks gave selflessly for days! Wow! What a great gift of time and energy and support. Cheers to all of you!

  2. Max says:

    Nice job guys. Way to go Matt and great support and blog posts Dakota. Thanks for keeping us up on Matt’s adventure. I don’t know how he continued to run that kind of mileage for 9 days. What a stud.


  3. Attaboy Matt Hart! What an adventure. Tenacity. Takes you a long way.

  4. oldgoat says:

    Congratulations Matt … an incredible feat! While backpacking we saw Matt and crew at Sergeant’s Mesa and what a gentleman… he even offered us food. Can you imagine that! The weather elements were awful at times and how he could keep going is beyond me. It was truly a pleasure to witness someone of his caliber in the throws of it all. I do hope you get to revisit the CT and enjoy it the second time around.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>