About Dakota Jones
Date of Birth:
December 5, 1990
Place of Birth:
Current Home town:
Primary Race Distance:
50 miles, 100 miles
Other hobbies or sports:
What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the trail?
Rogue Racers, ultrarefuel short, Way2Cool shirt
How were you introduced to your sport?
The Hardrock 100 in 2008. I volunteered at an aid station and was completely blown away by what I saw. I ran my first 50k six months later.
What inspires you?
Big mountains and wild places. Other people doing amazing things, both physically and intellectually. The best are when those are intertwined, when people accomplish goals that require huge physical strength and extreme mental prowess.
Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
I feel silly answering this because I know lots of these guys, but: Kyle Skagg’s Hardrock CR is one of the most incredible athletic achievements I have ever heard of. Alex Lowe’s passion for the mountains was inspiring. Reinhold Messner’s achievements in mountaineering are unparalleled. Kilian Jornet’s sheer raw talent is, actually, kind of infuriating. He’s too good. I need to be better because of him. That’s the power of these athletes. But far and away my biggest inspiration is my parents.
What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Enjoy it. I got into the sport with an intense burning passion and trained extremely hard to accomplish my goals, but over time I’ve found that longevity requires tempering that passion, consciously containing it so that it lasts long term, instead of blowing out after a few hard efforts.
What’s your favorite pre race meal?
The endangered Giant Panda, raw.
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
By trying to find a real job. My white picket fence isn’t going to build itself!
Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
Worrying needlessly and staring wide-eyed at the floor.
In 10 years I hope to be…
Seriously guys, relax, it’s under control”
When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Eazy-E: No More ?’s
What music gets you fired up?
Indie rock, folk rock, bluegrass, metal and dubstep (sometimes)
If you were a super hero, who would you be?
Captain Clever Answer! (Because I don’t have one for this question, alright?)
- June 2010, San Juan Solstice 50 mile, 1st
- July 2011, Hardrock 100, 2nd
- December 2011, TNF Endurance Challenge 50 mile, 2nd
Other Notable Achievements:
- November 2011, Grand Canyon Double Crossing Record – 42 miles – 6:53
2012 Race Plans:
- April 23, Grand Canyon R2R2R Record, Grand Canyon, AZ
- April 28, Leona Divide 50, Lake Hughes, CA
- May 12, Transvulcania Marathon, Canary Islands, Spain (Invited by Skyrunning Federation)
- May 20, Zegama-Aikorri Marathon, Northern Spain (Invited by Skyrunning Federation)
- June 2, Gold Gate Dirty Thirty, Golden, CO
- June 5, Squaw Peak 50m, Utah
- July 13, Hardrock 100, Silverton, CO
2011/2012 Race Results
- 2012 – December, TNF Endurance Challenge 50 miler – 2nd
- April, Lake Sonoma 50 – 1st overall, crushed Course Record by 50m – 6h17m
- 2011 – February, Moab Red Hot 50km – 1st place
- April, Zane Grey 50 – DNF
- May, Miwok 100k – 4th place overall
- May, Pocatello 50 – 1st place
- July, Hardrock 100 – 2nd
- August, Sierre-Zinal Mountain Race – 17th place
- August, UTMB France – DNF