About Geoff Roes
Date of Birth:
April 14, 1976
Place of Birth:
Current Home town:
Juneau, AK (May-Aug) & Nederland, CO (Sept-April)
Primary Race Distance:
50k and up.
Other hobbies or sports:
Snowshoeing, XC skiing, Mountain Biking, Bike Touring, Cooking, Writing
What MHW/Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the trail?
Montrail Mountain Masochist, Mountain Hardwear Effusion Jacket, Mountain Hardwear Fluid Race Vest, Mountain Hardwear Way Too Cool tops.
How were you introduced to your sport?
Came to Ultrarunning on my own. It just sounded fun to try to run a 50k.
What inspires you?
I’m most inspired by getting out in the mountains and exploring new places.
What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Try to enjoy every run you go out on. If you’re not enjoying the running that your doing, try some new things until you are.
What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
Seeing friends, family, and other racers at the finish… and drinking a beer.
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I’m one of the lucky few in the sport whose training is my “real job.”
In 10 years I hope to be…
Getting as much satisfaction out of my life as I am now.
Living for Now. Happy and easy.
When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Have never, and likely will never sing karaoke
What music gets you fired up?
I don’t listen to music to get fired up. The music I do listen to tends to be music which has more of the opposite effect, keeping me calm and mellow, which I think is a lot more beneficial in ultrarunning, a sport that requires so much patience and ability to take things as they come.
- February 2012, Iditarod Trail Invitational – 1st place in foot division
- September 2011, UROC 100k – 1st place
- March 2011, Chuckanut 50k – 1st place, Course Record
- July 2010, Crow Pass Crossing – 1st place, Course Record
- June 2010, Western States 100 – 1st place, Course Record
- November 2009, Mountain Masochist 50 – 1st place, Course Record
- September 2009, Wasatch 100 – 1st place, Course Record
- February 2006, Little Su 50k– 1st place, First Ultramarathon
- Susitna 100
- Resurrection Pass 50
- Resurrection Pass 100
- Crow Pass Crossing
- Wasatch 100
- Mountain Masochist 50
- North Face Endurance Challenge 50 – Bear Mountain
- Western States 100
- Run Rabbit Run 50
- Chuckanut 50k
- DRTE 100
- UROC 100k
2012 Race Plans:
- April 28, Leona Divide 50
- May 12, Transvulcania Marathon
- July 13, Hardrock 100
2012 Race Results
- 2012 – December, TNF Endurance Challenge 50 miler SF – 5th place
- February, Iditarod Trail Invitational – 1st place
- 2011 – January, Bandera 100km – DNF
- March, Chuckanut 50km – 1st place overall, Course Record
- April, Zane Grey 50 – 1st place
- April, DRTE 100 – 1st place, Course Record
- June, Western States 100 – DNF
- July, Crow Pass Crossing – 1st place, overall
- August, UTMB – DNF
- September, UROC – Ultra Race of Champions – 1st place, overall