About Matt Hart
Date of Birth:
March 5, 1975
Place of Birth:
Portsmouth, New Hampshire (Live Free or Die!)
Current Home town:
Salt Lake City, UT
Primary Race Distance:
50 km – 500 miles
Other hobbies or sports:
SkiMo, stroking my beard while pretending to think very deep thougths, lifting heavy things, looking at words, typing words.
What Mountain Hardwear/Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the trail?
Skinning uphill I’m always in the Mountain Hardwear Effusion Jacket – da bomb. I also love me some Mountain Hardwear refueler shorts and have to say the Way2Cool shirts are the best I’ve ever run in. My go-to shoes are the Montrail Bajada for long distances and Rogue Racers for anything under 50km.
What inspires you?
What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
S² – Shower and Sushi.
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
By sacrificing the things that don’t matter, like TV and any real meaningful relationships (I’m dead inside).
Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
Just coffee and body lube. Ya know, just like any other day really.
In 10 years I hope to be…
Dictator of the Gingrich Lunar Colony.
Six-word bio – In exactly six words summarize yourself
“Wicked slow endurance athlete, sexy polymath”
When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Anything by Pavarotti.
What music gets you fired up?
- Katcina Mosa 100km (62.2miles) 2011 – Springville, UT – 2nd place
- Fruita Trail Running Festival 1/2 Marathon 2011 – Fruita, CO – 1st place
- Wasatch Front 100 Mile Endurance Run 2010- Salt Lake City, UT – 3rd place
- Orcas Island 50km 2010 – Orcas Island, WA – 3rd place
- Devil’s Backbone 50 Mile Ultramarathon 2008 – Bozeman, MT – 1st place
- Big Horn 50 Mile Ultramarathon 2008 – Dayton, WY – 1st place
- HURT 100km Ultra-Marathon 2007 – Oahu, HI n- 2nd place
- Grand Teton 100 Mile Ultramarathon 2007 – Alta, WY – 2nd place
- Mount Hood PCT 50 Mile Ultra 2007 – Mount Hood, OR – 1st place<
- Big Horn Wild & Scenic 50k Ultra 2007 – Dayton, WY – 1st place
- Ron Herzog 50k Ultra-Marathon (31miles) 2006 – Granite Falls, WA – 1st place
Other Notable Achievements:
- Winner: Tahoe Vertical Contest – Most Backcountry Vertical Skied in a Season 2010
- 3rd fastest time ever run: Colorado Trail – 500 miles w/75,000ft of vert, ran 9days 7hrs 48mins 2010
- Speed Record: Zion Traverse – 48 miles w/10,000ft of vert, ran 7hrs 58mins
- 24hr Solo Mountain Bike World Championship 2006 – Conyers, GA – 12th place
- NORBA NW Regional / WA State 24-hr Solo Mtn Bike Champion 2006 – Spokane, WA – Champion 1st Place
- Pacific Northwest Adventure Racing Champion 2006
- Raid the North Adventure Race 2006 – Kamloops, BC Canada – 2nd place
- Baja Travesia Expedition Adventure Race 2005 – Baja, Mexico – 1st place
- Explore California 24-Hour Race Series Champion 2005
- Pacific Northwest Adventure Race Champion 2005
- Wicked AR Adventure Race Series Champion 2005
2012 Race Plans:
- April 21, Yakima Skyline Rim 50k/25k, Ellensburg, WA
- June 2, Pocatello 50 mile, Pocatello, ID
- July 21, Tahoe Rim Trail, Tahoe, CA
- September 28, Bear 100, Logan, UT
2012 Race Results
- August, Nolan’s 14 – 4th person to ever complete the route
- July, Tahoe Rim Trail 100 Miler – 1st place
- June, Pocatello 50 – 4th place
- April, Yakima 50km – 4th place