About Matt Hart
Place of Birth:
Portsmouth, New Hampshire (Live Free or Die!)
Current Home town:
Primary Race Distance:
50 km – 500 miles
Other hobbies or sports:
SkiMo, stroking my beard while pretending to think very deep thoughts, lifting heavy things, reading words, writing words.
What Mountain Hardwear/Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/on the trail?
Skinning uphill I’m always in the Mountain Hardwear Effusion Jacket. I am always reaching for the Mountain Hardwear ReFueler Cooler 2-in-1 shorts and the Way2Cool shirts and the CoolRunner shirts. My go-to shoes are the Montrail FluidFlex II for daily running, and the Bajadas for long distances.
What inspires you?
What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
S² – Shower and Sushi.
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
By sacrificing the things that don’t matter, like TV and any real meaningful relationships (I’m dead inside).
Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
Just coffee and body lube. Ya know, just like any other day really.
In 10 years I hope to be…
Dictator of the Gingrich Lunar Colony.
Six-word bio – In exactly six words summarize yourself
“Wicked slow endurance athlete, sexy polymath”
What music gets you fired up?
- Nolan’s 14: 100 mile route that summits 14x fourteen thousand foot peaks: 4th person to ever complete the route
- Jemez Mountain Run 50 Miler 2013 – Los Alamos, NM: 1st place
- Tahoe Rim Trail 100 Mile Endurance Run 2012 – Tahoe, CA: 1st place
- Fruita Trail Running Festival 1/2 Marathon 2011 – Fruita, CO: 1st place
- Wasatch Front 100 Mile Endurance Run 2010- Salt Lake City, UT: 3rd place
- Orcas Island 50km 2008 – Orcas Island, WA: 1st place
- Devil’s Backbone 50 Mile Ultramarathon 2008 – Bozeman, MT: 1st place
- Big Horn 50 Mile Ultramarathon 2008 – Dayton, WY: 1st place
- HURT 100km Ultra-Marathon 2007 – Oahu, HI: 2nd place
- Grand Teton 100 Mile Ultramarathon 2007 – Alta, WY: 2nd place
- Mount Hood PCT 50 Mile Ultra 2007 – Mount Hood, OR: 1st place
- Big Horn Wild & Scenic 50k Ultra 2007 – Dayton, WY: 1st place
- Colorado Trail – 500 miles w/75,000 ft of vert, ran 9 days 7hrs 48mins 2010: 3rd fastest time ever run
Other Notable Achievements:
- Winner: Tahoe Vertical Contest – Most Backcountry Vertical Skied in a Season 2010
- Speed Record: Zion Traverse – 48 miles w/10,000ft of vert, ran 7hrs 58mins
- 24hr Solo Mountain Bike World Championship 2006 – Conyers, GA – 12th place
- NORBA NW Regional / WA State 24-hr Solo Mtn Bike Champion 2006 – Spokane, WA – Champion 1st Place
- Pacific Northwest Adventure Racing Champion 2006
- Raid the North Adventure Race 2006 – Kamloops, BC Canada – 2nd place
- Baja Travesia Expedition Adventure Race 2005 – Baja, Mexico – 1st place
- Explore California 24-Hour Race Series Champion 2005
- Pacific Northwest Adventure Race Champion 2005
- Wicked AR Adventure Race Series Champion 2005
2014 Race Plans:
- April: Yakima Skyline Rim 50k/25k, Ellensburg, WA
- May: Bishop High Sierra 100km, Bishop, CA
- June: Big Horn 100 Mile Endurance Run, Sheridan, WY
- August: Cascade Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run, Snoqualmie, WA
2013 Race Results
- 1st Place: Jemez Mountain Run 50 Miler 2013 – Los Alamos, NM
- 2nd Place: Yakima Skyline Rim 50km – Ellensburg, WA
- 3rd Place: Big Horn 100 Mile Endurance Run – Sheridan, WY