About Max King
Date of Birth:
February 24, 1980
Place of Birth:
Current Home town:
Primary Race Distance:
Hmm, 3k to 50 mile. What’s primary mean anyway?
Other hobbies or sports:
Shoes, running up hills, skiing, mountain biking
What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the trail?
Wicked Lite L/S
Power Stretch Glove
If it’s nice then the Ultra Refueler Shorts and Way2Cool shirt.
How were you introduced to your sport?
I wasn’t always a “team player” and I was terrible at ball sports. I used to crush the other kids in the PE mile though so I went out for track in 7th grade.
What inspires you?
Lots of things: A cold stormy run through deep forest on a flowing single track trail, seeing someone else make a huge breakthrough after months or years of hard training, or just the pre-race adrenaline that comes when all the best racers toe the line.
What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
It’s all about having fun and working hard. There are no special secrets to anyone’s running success, it’s all hard work.
What’s your favorite pre race meal?
A Hammer Bar or oatmeal.
What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
Eating, I like to eat. A lot. It might not show but I run to eat and I eat to run.
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I quit my real job.
Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
Sure, but I can’t tell you or it would jinx my superstitions.
In 10 years I hope to be…
Doing the same thing I’m doing today. I envy those guys that are still improving at 40+ and hope that I’ll be doing the same.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
If I could even sing, it would be: Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
What music gets you fired up?
If you were a super hero, who would you be?
Wolverine, he’s just plain bad ass. And yes, I’m a comic book geek.
- December 2011, Xterra Trail Running World Championship – 1st
- September, Xterra Trail Running National Championships – 1st
- September, USATF National 50k Trail Championships – 1st
- September, IAAF World Mtn Running Championships – 1st
- August, Transrockies 6-day Stage Race – 2nd
- June, USATF Mtn Running Championships – 1st
- June, USATF Half Marathon Trail Championships – 1st
- December 2010, Xterra World Championships – 1st
- Novemeber, USATF National Trail Marathon Championships – 1st
- September, World Mtn Running Championships – 16th
- August, Transrockies 6-Day Stage Race – 1st (Partner w/ Andy Martin)
- June, USATF Trail Half Marathon National Championships – 1st
Track, Road, and XC Running
- January 2012, Olympic Trials Marathon – 2:14:36,19th
- April 2011, London Marathon Pacer – 2:13 pace/ 20 miles
- March 2011, World XC Championships – 40th
- January 2011, USATF XC National Championships – 7th
- October 2010, Baltimore Marathon – 2:15:34, 6th
Marathon – 2:14:34
Half Marathon – 1:03:07
3000m Steeplechase – 8:31
10k road – 29:01
8k Road – 22:57
5k Road – 14:02
2012 Race Plans:
- April 23, Grand Canyon R2R2R Record
- May 6, Bloomsday 15k, Spokane, WA
- May 12, Mac Forest 50k, Corvalis, OR
- May 20, Zegama-Aikorri Marathon, Northern Spain
- May 31, Teva Mtn Games, Vail, CO
- June 10, Half Marathon Trail Champs, Bend, OR
- June 16, Mountain Running Champs, Conway, NH
- July 14, Siskiyou Out Back, Ashland, OR
- July 15, Steens Running Camp, Oregon
- July 28, Speedgoat 50k, UT
- August 2, OR Show, Salt Lake, UT
- August 12, Sierre Zinal, Zinal, Switzerland
- August 14, Transrockies, Colorado
- September 2, World Mountain Running Championships, Temu, IT
- September 22, 50K Trails Champs, Bend, OR
- September 29, UROC 100K, NC
- October 6, StumpJump 50k, Tennessee
- October 22, Kinabalu Mountain Race, Malaysia
- November 17, JFK 50, Washington, DC
- December 1, TNF San Fran, SF, CA
- December 8, Club XC Champs, Lexington, KY
2011/2012 Race Results
- 2012 – January, USA Olympic Marathon Trials – 19th, New personal record
- January, Mad Ass 50k – 2nd
- March, Chuckanut 50k – 36th, took a wrong turn (not marked)
- March, Gorge Waterfalls 50k – 1st place 3hr 19min
- April, Horse Butte 10 mile
- April, Peterson Ridge Rumble – 1st place 4h40min ‘training run’
- 2011 - February, XC Nationals 12k – 7th * Made the World team
- March, World Championships XC Spain – 40th place
- April, Pear Blossom 10 mile, Medford, OR – 1st place, Course Record
- April, Monument Peak 15k Oregon – 1st place, 58:05, Course Record
- May, Mountain Goat 10 mile – 1st place
- May, McDonald Forest 50k – 1st place Course Record
- June, Teva Mtn Games Half Marathon – 2nd place
- June, Teva Mtn Games 10k – 1st place
- June, USA Half Marathon Trail Champs – 1st place
- June, USA Mtn Running Champs – 1st place
- July, Siskiyou Outback 50k – 1st, Course Record
- August, Sierre-Zinal Mountain Race, Switzerland – 20th place
- August, Pikes Peak Ascent – DNS
- August, TransRockies – 2nd place overall
- September, World Mtn Running Champs, Albania – 1st place overall
- September, USA 50k Trail Champ, Bend, OR – 1st place overall
- September, Xterra Trail Nationals – 1st place overall
- October, USATF 10 Mile Road Champs
- November, USA Trail Marathon Champs - 1st place overall