About Megan Lizotte
Date of Birth:
December 10, 1983
Place of Birth:
“A little place called Assspen…” – Aspen, Colorado
Current Home town:
La Jolla, California
Primary Race Distance:
10k-marathon – Trail/Mountain/Road
Other hobbies or sports:
Cooking, traveling, shopping, Nordic skiing, hiking, camping, writing and hanging out with my husband and our sweet daughter, Maven.
What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the trail?
I’m pretty sure I have the Women’s Butter Zippit Hoody in every color! It’s the perfect weight for cooler weather running. The material is unbelievably soft, antimicrobial and super cute! For bottoms, I’m always wearing either the Ultrapacer Shorts or my Mighty Power Capris—they’re so comfy, sometimes I sleep in them! I love the Rogue Fly—best light-weight trail racing shoe that’s supportive enough for the rockiest of trails.
How were you introduced to your sport?
I was born into a running lifestyle. My parents are both runners and I grew up watching my dad compete at local races. In fact, most of our family vacations were dictated by where he was racing. My dad has such an infectious passion for the sport which made running appealing to me. He never made me run, I just wanted it for myself because I saw how much joy it brought to his life.
What inspires you?
I live in the most beautiful place—hard not to be inspired when your surrounded by giant mountains, wild flowers and blue skies!
Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
My dad has been my biggest inspiration for my running career. I’ve also always looked up to Deena Kastor, Kara Goucher, Lauren Fleshman, Magdalena Lowey-Boulet, Paula Radcliffe, and Kathrine Switzer – these are some powerful, tough-as-nails, beautiful women doing amazing things for the sport!
What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Well I would of course recommend that all beginners hire me as their coach! ☺ Stick with it! Running can be uncomfortable in the beginning, but if you give your body 2 weeks of consistent running, it will start to respond positively and you’ll really enjoy it. And eventually become addicted!
What’s your favorite pre race meal?
I know this might sound like a gut-bomb to some, but it works for me! I love a big kale salad with parmesan, avocado, pine nuts, baby turnips, dried cherries, drizzled with some homemade tahini & olive oil and topped with a big piece of seared salmon. YUM!
What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
I always treat myself to a post-run recovery treat! I love drinking a mocha because it’s got a great combination of carbs to help restock glycogen stores, and protein to repair tired muscle fibers. Plus, the caffeine in the coffee optimizes the entire recovery process. Sometimes in the summer I’ll order one and then go sit in the river to ice my legs….hot drink makes it not feel so miserable!
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
My “real job” is mom, athlete and coach all wrapped into one fun yet hectic package! Finding the energy to give 100% to each of those titles is really tricky and takes a lot of creativity, discipline, planning…and food! I have been blessed with the ability to coach other runners online through my website hgrunning.com so I get to work from home, set my own schedule and have the ability to work from wherever I am in the world racing and/or training. It’s important to me to spend as much time with my daughter as I can, so she tags along on my racing and training trips, stroller runs and everything in between! Her needs come first but she’s a really supportive member of my team!
Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
I almost always wear mascara when I race. If you feel like you look good, then you usually feel more confident in yourself!
In 10 years I hope to be…
A World Champion mountain runner, Olympic marathoner, super cool mom & house flipper (I’ve always wanted to do that!)
I eat hill repeats for breakfast
When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
The one time I actually sang karaoke was to “Barbie Gir” by AQUA. ” I wouldn’t exactly say I brought down the house either!
What music gets you fired up?
I love dance/house and hip hop—totally pumps me up! David Guetta, Daft Punk, Kaskade,Deadmau5, Lupe Fiasco, Calvin Harris, Rhianna, Gaga, Basement Jaxx, Hed
- January 14, 2012, USA Olympic Marathon Trials, 2:44, 75th (pregnant!)
- December 10, 2011, American Bank 1/2 Marathon, 1st
- December 3, 2011, Winter Sun 10k, 1st
- November 5, 2011, USATF Trail Marathon Championships, 1st
- September 11, 2011, World Mountain Running Championships, Tirana, Albania, 12th
- August 14, 2011, Sierre Zinal Mountain Race, Zinal, Switzerland, 4th
- July 30, 2011, Mount Sopris Run-Off, 1st
- July 14, 2011, Race for the Cure 5k, 1st
- June 26, 2011, USA Mountain Running Championships, Cranmore Hill Climb, 4th
- June 12, 2011, USATF Trail Half Marathon Championships, 3rd
- June 5, 2011, Spring Run-Off 10k, Teva Mountain Games, 3rd
- June 4, 2011, Vail Pass Half Marathon, Teva Mountain Games, Vail, CO,2nd
- May 14, 2011, USATF 25k, Grand Rapids, MI, Fifth Third River Bank Run, 14th
Other Notable Achievements:
- First American woman to win Sierre Zinal Mountain Race
- 2x Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier
- 3x World Mountain Running Championships qualifier
- 2011 USATF Trail Running Series Champion
2015 Race Plans:
- February 23rd – XTERRA Crystal Cove 15k
- March 22nd – XTERRA Boney Mountain Trail 21k (tentative)
- April 12th – XTERRA Black Mountain 15k
- May 2nd – Cinco De Mayo Trail 10k (tentative)
- May 3rd – OC Half Marathon (tentative)
- May 31st – Sand Diego Rock N’ Roll Marathon (tentative)
- June 4th-June 7th - GoPro Mountain Games: Uphill Half Marathon and Trail 10k
- June 2oth – Grandmas’ Marathon (tentative)
- July 25th – USA Mountain Running Championships
- August 27th – Ultra Trail Du Mont Blanc (UTMB) OCC, France (tentative)
- August 29thth – USATF 50k Championships (tentative)
- September 19th – World Mountain Running Championships, Wales (pending qualification)
- September 20th – XTERRA Trail Run National Championships (tentative)
- December 6th – XTERRA Trail Run World Championships, Hawaii (pending qualification)
2014 Race Results
- Carlsbad Half Marathon: 7th
- UT 10-Miler, San Diego: 5th
- San Diego Half Marathon: 2nd
- XTERRA Black Mountain 15k: 1st, NEW COURSE RECORD
- GoPro Mountain Games – Vail Pass Half Marathon: 4th
- GoPro Mountain Games – 10k Trail Run: 3rd
- Strawberry Shortcut 10k: 1st
- Strawberry Shortcut 5k: 1st
- USA Moutain Running Championships – Loon Mountain Race: 5th
- Eugene Marathon: 7th
- Aspen Mountain Uphill Challenge: 1st
- World Mountain Running Championships: 3rd Team USA
- Golden Leaf Half Marathon: 2nd