Date of Birth:
July 31, 1973
Place of Birth:
Current Home town:
Primary Race Distance:
1/2 Marathon, Marathon, 50mi, 100km
Other hobbies or sports:
Playing with my dogs, Cycling, Snowshoeing, Road Trips, Nordic Skiing, Canoeing, Board Games
What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the trail?
How were you introduced to your sport?
My sister April told me to run cross country while a high school freshman. A few years later, my xc team ran in a road relay race, which also had an ultra division for crazy people. I remember seeing them out there and thinking “Wow, that’s awesome!!”.
What inspires you?
Happy running dogs, new runners, big mountains
What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Ask others for advice, but try things for yourself, because everyone is so different in what works best for them (in all aspects of ultrarunning…and really, life, for that matter).
What’s your favorite pre race meal?
A PB&J sandwich, banana, and hot Nuun.
What the first thing you look forward to doing after a long run / race?
Eating cheese fries!
How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
I make running a priority.
Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
In 10 years I hope to be…
When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Eye of the Tiger
What music gets you fired up?
If you were a super hero, who would you be?
- 2015 Goblin Valley 50k – 4:02:35 1st Place
- 2015 Lost Dutchman Marathon – 2:51:39 1st Place
- 2014 Paatuqatsi Water is Life 50k: 1st Place
- 2014 Flagstaff Loop Trail 45mi: FKT
- 2014 Old Pueblo 50mi: 1st Place
- 2013 Sinister 7 148k: 1st Place
- 2013 Ultramarathon Caballo Blanco 50mi: 9th Place
- 2012 Mt Spokane 50k: 1st Place
- 2011 3 Days of Syllamo 95mi: 2nd place
- 2010 AND 2011 Desert RATS 148mi: 1st Place
- 2009 Canadian Death Race 125k: 1st Place
- 2009 Run to the Sun 36mi: 1st Place
- 2008 Spokane Marathon: 1st Place
- 2008 Crater Lake Marathon: 1st Place
- 2006 Tahoe 72mi: 1st Place
- 2006 Bighorn 50mi: 1st Place
- 2005 Montrail Ultra Cup Series: 2nd place
- 2004 Where’s Waldo 100k: 2nd place
- 2001-2004 Tahoe Triple 78.6mi: 1st Place – Course Record
- 2001 Let’s Climb a Mountain 34mi: 1st Place – FIRST ULTRA
Has won at least one ultra per year, each year, since starting in 2001!
2016 Race Plans:
- January 23rd – Coldwater Rumble 20 mi: Goodyear, AZ
- January 27th, 28th, 29th - Snowdown Doughnut Eating Contest, Treadmill Challenge, and Uphill/Downhill Race: Durango, CO
- January 30th – Winter Warrior 10k Snowshoe Race: Durango, CO
- February 14th – Los Angeles Marathon: Los Angeles, CA
- February 20th – Kahtoola Agassiz Uphill 4 mi (2300 vertical feet): Flagstaff, AZ
- April 3rd – Horse Butte 10mi: Bend, OR
- April 10th – Peterson Ridge Rumble: Sister, OR
- April 18th – Boston Marathon: Boston, MA
- Mid-May – R2R2R/Zion Traverse/Bryce Canyon Link Up 130 mi: AZ and UT
- June 18th – Bighorn Wild and Scenic 50mi: Dayton, WY
- July 30th – Kennebec Mountain Run 15 mi: Durango, CO
2015 Race Results
- January 24th – Coldwater Rumble 20mi – 2:39:20 1st Overall
- February 1st – Sedona 1/2 Marathon – 1:23:44 5th Overall, 1st Masters
- February 7th – Kahtoola Agassiz 4mi (2300′) – 53:50 7th Overall, 1st Masters
- February 15th – Lost Dutchman Marathon – 2:51:39 1st Overall
- February 21st – Antelope Canyon 50mi – 8:12:49 3rd Overall, 1st Masters
- March 28th – Crown King Scramble 50k – 4:59:05 11th Overall, 3rd Masters
- April 18 – Brian Mickelsen Memorial Marathon 3:09 2nd Overall, 1st Masters
- May 2nd – Whiskey Row Marathon – 3:20:11 5th Overall, 1st Masters
- May 2nd – Sinister Night Run 54k – 6:17:28 7th Overall
- May 23rd – Jemez Mountain 50k – 5:59:11 7th Overall, 1st Masters
- June 20th – River of No Return 108k – 14:37 12th Overall
- July 4th - Blue Ribbon 10k – 44:10 3rd Overall
- July 21st – Saranac Lake Ultra 34mi – 17:33 34 miles with 9,000 feet vertical gain!
- July 25th – King of the Peaks 50k – 6:47:00 5th Overall
- August 1st – Kennebec Mountain Run 15mi 2:32:37 14th Overall, 2nd Masters
- August 29th – Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB), France 170km – 43:41:00 “Wow, that was really hard.”
- September 26th – Flagstaff:GC Stagecoach 55k 5:09:43 4th Overall, 1st Master
- October 24th – Goblin Valley 50k – 4:02:35 1st Overall
- November 21st – JFK 50mi – 7:12:25 31st Overall, 6th Masters
2014 Race Results
- February – Sedona Marathon: 1st Masters
- March – Old Pueblo 50: 1st Place
- March – Flagstaff Loop Trail: FKT – 7:11:24
- May – Grand Canyon Ultras 50k: 2nd Place
- September – Paatuqatsi Water is Life 50k: 1st Place
- September – Flagstaff Marathon: 1st Masters